Sunday, November 1, 2009

Perth, part one: of bambolas and cupcakesniffers

Early Saturday morning my suitcase and I made our merry way back to Sydney Airport. On the train I made the acquaintance of two rather likeable Aussie boys, leftover from Friday night and still a little drunk. They asked me questions and told me very serious stories all the way to my stop, and one of them even broke out in "If You're Going to San Francisco" when he found out where I was from.

As I was disembarking, he asked, "So was it worth the sixteen dollars, this train ride?" I replied, "Oh yes, definitely."

Several hours later I landed in Perth, on the far side of Australia. I was greeted at the airport by LIV, one of my most favorite peoples on the whole internet, carrying refreshments and a sign with my name. She did not even abandon me when the airport security dog outed me for having contraband in my bag. (A tangerine peel from New South Wales, gasp!)

My gracious Perth beautifuls had already arranged way ahead of time who would watch me on which days. Saturday was a Liv Day.

After dropping off my suitcase at the House of Bambola, we trained it into the city. There we:

meandered 'round the shopping district;

dipped our feet in the Swan River;

rinsed them off in the bell tower/rocket ship moat;


IMG_6639

dropped in on a friend of Liv's at his work;

and hunted down one Em at her work.

Look, Em made this sign. She really does have a thing for cupcakes!


IMG_6643

And blew bubbles in the subway, of course.


IMG_6647



IMG_6649

As it was a hot day and I was itching to see the Indian Ocean, we went next to the beach. There, we:

stood in the waves for a while;

took some instant photos with my Diana;



encountered some teenyboppers;

and lolled around in the sun talking in that peculiar getting-to-know-you way of blogger friends who've known each other for ages but only just met.

It was wonderful.




scan0033 - Copy (4)

scan0033 - Copy (3)

scan0033 - Copy (2)


On our way home (car full of wind and late sun and music...) we stopped by the apartment Liv owns but doesn't live in.


IMG_6657

After a freshen-up at the House of Bambola, we went over to Em's gingerbread cottage of a house and I was handed off to the cupcakesniffer herself.

Preview:


IMG_6658

IMG_6660

9 comments:

  1. hee, you make it sound like a fairytale :) i love the shot of liv in the rocketship moat (which, omg, best description ever!) and the one of em & liv at jb.

    basically, <3

    (ps em, if you're reading this, that dress should totally be your picnic-dress, it's gorgeous!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwwww!
    These are so gorgeous,
    looks like you had a lot of fun!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful :)
    the food in my post is sushi! the orange things are caviar (fish eggs) and the white dollop on top is mayonnaise
    it's soooooooooo yum
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww. It's so cool to see your perspective on everything :)
    Hope you've had an amazing time in Australia.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way the photos came out with your Diana!!

    This is amazing. (I got your postcard) I really hope you have just as much fun when you head down my way!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome. It looks like it was a ton of fun.

    Is Diana your camera?

    ReplyDelete
  7. minteva - You don't have to tell me what Australia's going to do with it, but admit it, it's a rocket ship. Also, kind of was a fairy tale.

    Athena - Ohh yes. :)

    Janice - Ah! Thought it was sushi but I have never seen that kind before.

    Kez - Thanks. I really have. :)

    pinkapplecore - Yes, Diana is a great sidekick. Now that I'm going back to the Midwest next year, maybe I'll see you sooner rather than later!

    Georgie - I did too. Hehe.

    spider - It really was. Yes, Diana is both her brand and her name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, those Diana pics are something! (Something beautiful, of course.)

    Looking forward to hearing more about your western adventures :)

    --xo.

    ReplyDelete