Sunday, May 9, 2010

Home again (a recipe)

Yes, I am home in San Francisco again for the whole summer. I would like to tell you about the end of the semester, but right now I want most to share a recipe with you, because I am just so happy to be in a real house again where, among other things, I have a lovely, clean, well-stocked kitchen.




Magdalenas are these tasty dense little tea cake things that look like cupcakes but are not cupcakes. This recipe is from Herr Bambola, also known as @Vagrant.

I halved this recipe and got twelve.

1 egg
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cups plain flour
1 tsp bakng powder
powdered sugar, to dust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat egg and sugar together, then stir in all the rest of the ingredients except for the powdered sugar.

Fill the papers two-thirds of the way full and bake for about 20 minutes. You can either bake them in the papers on a baking tray, in which case they are supposed to get golden, or in a muffin tin. I did the latter; they stayed pale and I used the toothpick test.

Once cool, dust with powdered sugar.


9 comments:

  1. I'm happy that you're home again and happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh yes...must make these! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin - Thank yoouu, friend. I am so excited for this season!

    Edge - Do tell me when you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember when I visited you in SF and I got to eat your famous cupcakes? Wow. That was fantastic. Really wish I was there eating those Magdalenas right now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. aipingplum - I do. Canteloupe cupcakes with caramel topping. Hur. Yes, you should come help me eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look delish. My housemate just got a new stove put in, and it's not hooked up yet, so I can't bake. But these will have to be the first thing when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you halved the recipe you posted? must remember that for next time, because i had so much batter i made them larger than i wanted (but they're still quite nice) and also a half dozen smaller ones... as you're making it they seem weird but the result is delightful. (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amber - excellent! I hope you like 'em; tell me how they turn out if you think to.

    Danielle - that's actually how I first heard of them--I was saying to a friend, NEVER trust cakes that are made with olive oil, how gross, and this @vagrant stepped in and said, actually I know this one recipe...:) I'm so glad they pleased you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmmmMAKE ME?...

    also you were right not to listen to memoryhouse's new album <_<... ah.

    ReplyDelete