Friday, July 2, 2010

Auntie/expectations

My big sister and her husband are expecting a baby, as I've mentioned. A girl, due November 1st, whom we are calling Chloe.




I don't looove infants, but I am excited to be an auntie. Now when I take pictures, I imagine her looking at them someday and I will say, This is what your aunt Rebecca looked like putting on her makeup when she was seventeen and you were just some flutters in your mama's belly. (I saw her moving last week. It was weird but amazing.)

Rebecca knows what I'm talking about; she told me that she and her friend who came on vacation with us to the lake have been wanting to write a letter to Chloe.

Then I start to wonder if my aunts felt this way when my mom was pregnant with me? I don't think it could have been the same, because none of them are my aunts by blood. Which is not to say they don't love me, but it's gotta be different waiting for your own sister's baby, from her own body.

6 comments:

  1. Being an auntie is all kinds of wonderful. I'm glad you're so excited! It's always good when a baby has so many people who love her before she's even born. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being an aunt! My niece was born last November and I loved the months before, preparing for her arrival. It was exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pregnant women make me so happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie - hmm, emailing you an idea I just had...

    Some Girl - Do you get to see her much? Mine'll live about ten driving hours away, but we're going to have to work out a lot of visits.

    geekspawn - And when they're pregnant AND newlywed? Loveliest people ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, I love young couples with newborn babies especially.... it's like honeymoon meets babymoon and it's adorable.

    ReplyDelete