Friday, April 24, 2009

Letter

My sweet sad astronaut sister
bone-lonely and texting me from the other side of the atmosphere
I know how tired you are, I know, I know
So I will listen,
I will not say what I am thinking,
which is you mustn't go any further!
which is how did no one notice
angry now that silence is not the opposite of screaming,
silent as you were, silent as shoulders shaking and
the nail polish stroking across the wood

And I am distressed with not knowing
why I should be happy and you sad,
the words that would be true enough for what I want to describe to you,
what I can say instead of it will be all right.

You're too far, love;
your voice is muffled
as I know mine must be for you.

[eta:]
But what I would have you hear is this

Every morning I am telling God
that if I am allowed one more miracle in my life,
I would see you happy again.

***


I don't even know how to finish this. It was upsetting for me to write it, and the reason I had trouble falling asleep last night.

For some reason, I feel better when it's out of my head, here where you can read it. So thank you.

20 comments:

  1. darling i don't know exactly what this is about, but i hope she is okay, and that you'll remain strong for her.

    this is a beautiful piece of raw emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hug*

    this is very well-said, and something i can relate to a bit, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BIG HUG and possibly an even bigger cookie!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is heart-breakingly beautiful and so poignant. I really hope she is all right, and you too. -cyber hug-

    ReplyDelete
  5. *tea and lots and lots of sympathy*

    I hate being too far away for my words to be anything but empty hollows.

    (My word verification is "krying")

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there,

    Just a note to say thank you for the lovely package. I really loved everything you sent, and I'll be spending plenty of time tonight paging through the style book to see what's cool overseas!

    xx
    e

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes we need to lend our strength to others.
    I think you must be good at this.
    Hang in there, for both of you.
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, sweets, you can hear the emotion in this. I hope everything is ok. =( or will be ok soon.

    Liv x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I quite love this poem, but I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. *hugs* I'm with paper-doll. I'm not sure what exactly this is about, but I hope everything turns out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope everything turns out ok *big hugs*
    very beautiful words
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are the best.
    Thank you for your hugs and good words.
    I have a story about today and this friend to tell you, only I don't want to blog it, but anyone who pokes me can hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You write beautifully :)

    --xo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so powerful.
    Hug*
    .........
    guess what you we in my dream the othe night, i guess becasue i read your blog before going to sleep, i was in a boutique store and everything in it had your name on it, cuileann.

    ReplyDelete
  15. R. - Thank you.

    Franco - Thankss. That's so funny...

    Sherry - I am glad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a beautiful poem. I'm sorry about the sadness underlying it--but you did make something heartfelt and beautiful with it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. bone-lonely is such a perfect word. this is quite beautiful, bud. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete