Sunday, November 13, 2011

The day we woke up at four a.m.

We drove to the monastery only to find that the main gate was still closed / Napped in the car in the pre-dawn dark / Had breakfast at a diner lit with the first slanting rays of daylight, where our waitress told us to have as much hot tea as we liked / Listened to a glorious remix of a song we both love / She guessed the combination to the gate by pure luck / We drove up high into the North County hills / And over a speed bump with BUMP OF MINDFULNESS painted on it / Where we met a young Buddhist nun with a laughing face and shaved head who called to us, Good morning, sisters!

6 comments:

  1. :)))))
    I should've given you that remix. My apologies!!
    I was actually there today! They're finally open again.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! i miss going to a monastery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridey - It was pretty dang delicious, mishaps and all.

    sui - Don't even worry! It's free to download, and I found my way to it easily enough. I really mustmust make a second attempt at joining them for a Day of Mindfulness...how was it?

    odessa - When have you been? What kind? *curious*

    ReplyDelete
  4. holly, i used to go all the time when i was in the philippines. my grand-uncle (grandpa's first cousin) is a priest and his congregation is also affiliated with this group of monks called the Pink Sisters. we'd go there to hear mass because their singing is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. odessa - Ahhh. I'm imagining. I want to hear more when next we meet.

    ReplyDelete