Sunday, November 18, 2007

Shin splints and Riverdance

My shin splints have been bothering me of late, so I desist from dancing down our (concrete) hall now. I think I'm going to have to make my practice sessions in the dance studio shorter, and jogging is definitely off.

I'll keep wearing my dance sneakers for my soft shoe dances, too, instead of going barefoot. I need to do those anti-shin splints exercises more.

I went to the dance studio in the SRC today for a half an hour or so, mostly stretching and working on my slip jig. For those of you who aren't familiar with Irish dances -- most of you, I imagine -- the slip jig is a soft shoe dance in 9/8 time traditionally, and usually still today, danced only by girls and women. It's the so-called ballet of Irish dance, with a very flowing, graceful, swinging feel. I'll have to remember that Sunday afternoon is a good time (i.e. there were no crew people on the rowing machines or anyone else in the studio, hurrah!). I got my Riverdance CD in the mail a few days ago ($2.50 plus shipping used from Amazon!), so I got to enjoy practicing to the beautiful slip jigs from the numbers "Women of Ireland" and "Riverdance." You can watch/listen to them here:

"Women of Ireland" -- Such a pretty beginning; the slip jig is called "Countess Cathleen." Though I laugh a little inside when they are just revolving around each other in the in-between measures. Then the women get all fired up and Jean has a hardshoe showdown with a bunch of men who think they can handle her. Kinda reminds me of Enna at the beginning of Enna Burning when she's talking about Finn...

"Riverdance" -- The Irish chorus AnĂșna introduces the dance with a song ("Cloudsong" is the name, I believe); sit tight. This is Riverdance's performance as the interval act at the 1994 Eurovision Song Contest in Dublin, the four minutes that made Irish dance famous, and that's no exaggeration. Starts out with Jean's gorgeous floating slip jig (I do love her dress, and her hair is so pretty; it's been straight for a long time now), then we get a bit of undiluted Michael Flatley, and it ends with iconic Riverdance treble reel, the entire company in their hardshoes in a single line. It gives me goosebumps every single time I watch it.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. I love Irish Dancing, this is so beautiful! all of them were.

    And yes, I'm reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading it, too. Obviously. ;) Cool, I've never seen Riverdance, except for some commercials when I was little.

    I watched the clips you posted and found some others. I really got into "Lord of the Dance" and the "Finale". I think it cool when they do those domino effect moves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like those, too, Taiger. I haven't actually seen any Lord of the Dance (that's a separate show)...to my knowledge. Which finale did you watch -- the Riverdance finale?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about the shin splints. I hate them so much. I hope they heal soon. Little Red has some good stretches that really helped mine.

    ReplyDelete