Friday, February 1, 2008

And a poem for you

I read this poem a couple nights ago and it made me think of a certain post on ennagirl's blog. I suppose a lot of book nerds -- or just people who are currently living through high school or middle school -- could use these words. I hope you feel a bit of extra strength when you read them, as I did.

Reply to Censure
Repulse the staring eye,
The hostile gaze of hate,
And check the pedantry
Of those inveterate

Defamers of the good.
They mock the deepest thought,
Condemn the fortitude
Whereby true work is wrought.

Though just men are reviled
When cravens cry them down,
The brave keep undefiled
A wisdom of their own.

The bold wear toughened skin
That keeps sufficient store
Of dignity within,
And quiet at the core.

- Theodore Roethke

4 comments:

  1. Where do you manage to find these wonderful poems? (and wow, I just pronounced it mentally as vonderful...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow. That was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that was such a wonderful poem! Completely beautiful words...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I might have 2 steal that 4 my slogan. ;)

    ReplyDelete