Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Thank you, Wucius Wong

Last night I fell asleep around 8:30 and as I was lying in bed waking up an hour later, semi-looking at our room and semi-dreaming, I had three realizations:

1. I should wear my new purple scarf-like thing with my old yellow hat.

2. The meaning of "wucius" (one of my roommate's textbooks was authored by Wucius Wong, and I decided I had to make up a meaning for the word "wucius" and begin using it in everyday conversation): very powerful, intense, perhaps even overwhelming so. Can be used as an adverb with the suffix "-ly." Example: I had a wucius craving for French dance music. Pronunciation: WOO-shus

3. The six pears I bought in San Francisco and brought back with me, so carefully packed (I thought), had been injured by each other. That's why they're so bruised. Darn pear-on-pear violence. Also, I think they were too close to ripe when I bought them.

And you know what? Today's chapel speaker, a middle-aged and scholarly-looking theologian, began with, "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a student in near possession of an undergraduate degree must be in want of a status symbol." Ha! He was a great speaker all around. Austen allusions and guys who are Austen fans make my day.

5 comments:

  1. "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a student in near possession of an undergraduate degree must be in want of a status symbol."
    Oh, that is too awesome. :) Sorry about your pears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wucius could also be the baby name for Lucius Malfoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!

    Except for the pears. We should start protesting for the stop on pear on pear violence. I'll make the picket signs and you can print off some fliers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for male Austen fans! Jane Austen would be proud.
    Just like to let you know that I tagged you. Check out my blog if you're confused.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed, Q. :) Nerd Goddess, that is a wonderful idea; I will most definitely join you.

    ReplyDelete