Saturday, June 21, 2008

Happy Solstice!

Midsummer, the longest day of the year, the first day of summer - isn't it beautiful? We get nearly seventeen hours of daylight here in San Francisco today! You can find out the time of the sunrise and sunset where you live on this website. I celebrated by waking up early to watch the sun rise from the Golden Gate Bridge.

Before sunrise...


The bridge was nearly empty of cars.


You can see downtown here.


The small, pale moon was setting in the west between the bridge cables as the sun rose.


The sun appeared above the hills of the East Bay around 5:48 am.


After the sun had risen.


Driving around the empty streets and walking in the gentle morning air made me think of that scene in the movie adaptation of Tuck Everlasting where Jesse Tuck wakes Winnie up early to go out in the woods "while the day is still ours."

I understand what he meant. The streets and sky really felt like they belonged to me, so empty and wide and lovely. I went out on my bike a little while after we got back, and I didn't have to use my brakes at all because there were almost no cars; I just ripped down the hills and through all the intersections. Gorgeous. :) Perhaps I will get into the habit of waking up early more often!

P.S. Oh, and it's also the Day of the Finnish Flag! Go Finns!



P.P.S. Watch out for fairy mischief tonight.

14 comments:

  1. And it's also my brother's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. Those pictures are G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Q - awesome day for a birthday!

    Thanks, Erin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me want to come visit you even more. The pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. San Francisco is an easy subject; it's impossible for her to look ugly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pictures or beautiful--especially the last one. The lighting and framing are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm almost done it, I'm on the last chapter! I think I like Bronte's style of writing better than Austens. It's so much darker!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog. I like your pictures too! I'd like so much to come to visit San Fransisco.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks :)
    I was thinking the same thing about Jane Eyre. My friend absolutley loved it, so I'll read it soon probably!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quick note; you were the winner of a copy of A Curse Dark As Gold. Could you please email me??

    aprilynnepike at gmail dot com

    Thx!

    Aprilynne

    ReplyDelete
  11. your pictures make me want to wake up early and catch the sunrise! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those pictures are just lovely! Thanks for sharing that with us. :)

    ReplyDelete