Saturday, July 19, 2008

Channeling the Strawberry Shortcake spirit

Cupcake adventures, part three: chocolate and vanilla angel cupcakes with strawberry frosting.

Here they are just out of the oven before I frosted them. A bit underfilled.
 

Freshly frosted.

Greetings, cardioid!



I used the vanilla and chocolate quick oil cake recipes from my mother's Joy of Cooking, which are not technically angel cake, but do contain plasma - sorry, meringue - so I have decided to call them that. It's a relatively healthy recipe. Back when I had a terror of trans fat, they were the only cake recipes I felt safe making. A little more flavor might improve them, but for a light cupcake they're nice.

The strawberry frosting recipe I used made me angry, so I'm not posting a link. I had to add way more sugar than it told me I did, just so it'd be thick enough to spread. I left it kind of thin rather than sweetening it further, but it was still too sweet for me. Also, when I finished the first box of powdered sugar I didn't know we had more, so I added a little bit of normal sugar (bad move) before my mother told me there was more powdered. As a result you could kind of taste the grains of the ordinary sugar in it. Grr. It still wasn't terrible, because it did have fresh strawberries in it, but I didn't really like it.

So, the lesson: Just because a recipe is on the internets doesn't mean it's any good. I am going to be more careful to make sure I use recipes only from reputable sites and avoid submission-based sites like Cooks.com and All Recipes.

6 comments:

  1. those look YUMMY.

    *stomach growls*

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cardioid one makes me smile.

    And you never know, I got a recipe for frosting from Kraft and it said it would spread--it didn't. I had to add a bunch of milk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. love the plasma reference ;)

    These actually sound really good... I'm kind of on a chocolate vanilla strawberry mix thing right now. Maybe it's because of the Neopolitan (sp... I'm to lazy to check the spelling!) ice cream in our freezer right now :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, cupcakes; they look awesome! Also, you've been tagged. =)

    ReplyDelete