Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Perilous Gard

The Perilous Gard, by Elizabeth Marie Pope is simply delicious; I loved it through and through. It'sabout a lady-in-waiting of Princess Elizabeth's who is exiled to a mysterious, isolated castle for her little sister's indiscretion. There she quickly becomes entangled in the strange goings-on of the Elvenwood, and is plunged into an ancient and dangerous world straight out of legend.


Kate was a fabulous character who dwells happily outside the confines of that tired stereotypical YA historical/fantasy heroine, and I thought this book's "fairy folk" were marvelous - they're not the kind of fairies you're used to seeing in fantasy novels, and the author doesn't push anything past the bounds of believable or even possible (quite refreshing), but they really are great. Pitch-perfect plotting and pacing, too.

Please, if you haven't read this book already, don't miss it! It's one of the best I've read all year.

Grade: A+

4 comments:

  1. Souds awesome!! and I needed a good book to read thanks!
    Aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to put this book on my wishlist. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite books. Kate is awesome, and Christopher is hysterical. :)

    ReplyDelete