Thursday, October 9, 2008

"Om nom nom nom..."

I found a bunch of August pictures that I thought I'd lost, hurrah! Including some baking documentation! So here's a cupcake from a little while ago...

The inspiration: Who doesn't like eating cookie dough, whether on its own or in ice cream or as frightening-but-delicious chocolate-covered candies? I'd seen cookie dough cupcakes running around the cupcake blogosphere before, and, as we just happened to have premade cookie dough in our fridge, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to throw some cupcake tribute the Cookie Monster's way.

So - cookie dough cupcakes. :)


And here's what they look like on the inside. (And what my little sister looks like when she's bored at dinner, ha.)



The recipe: I used my standard chocolate cupcake recipe, which is from Cupcakes Take The Cake. After spooning the cupcake batter into the muffin tin, I put one small cookie's worth of cookie dough on top of each unbaked cupcake. Then I baked them as usual, and frosted them with chocolate buttercream (my recipe, another "throw everything together and fiddle until it tastes right" model).

The verdict: They turned out great - but really, how could you go wrong with this idea? This chocolate recipe is nice and soft and rich, and the cookie dough kept a sweet, still-mostly-unbaked texture. These cupcakes were just yum, and so simple, too!

What I'd do differently next time: I expected the cookie dough to sink into the middle of the cupcake while in the oven, but it stayed on the top. I might try adding it when the cup was half full of batter, and then covering it and filling the cup the rest of the way up with batter so the pocket of cookie dough would be a bit more in the center of the finished cupcake. No big issues, though.
P.S. You've got to check out these funny cupcakes that Q found.

12 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like the sound of cookie dough cupcakes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful cupcake idea. I want to try it. Though I might get distracted and just cookie dough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I love those tv dinner cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *dies* Ooh those look loverly.^^ I now know what to try when the urge to Bake Something! randomly strikes (it will probably be next year at the soonest, but I am now prepared, so thank you muchly).

    And you're reading The Queen of Attolia? *squee* I love that book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHOAAAAAA omfg they look SO good. i need to make some like right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cookie dough!
    Thats it, I must give into my cupcake cravings! I have to go try making it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *whimpers* Once I finish that stupid paper I will bake something! This is torture! (The paper, I mean)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh... yum-tastic! Wow... it's way past my dinner time, I need to eat something. *wishes she could reach through the screen and just nab those cupcakes* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM!!!!
    I love cookie dough and cupcakes. These look super good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hwalk - Yes, that is definitely a realistic danger.

    Alyosha - Bake Something! urges? Oh, watch out...once you start indulging those, you're in for good. ;) Jk. And yes! It's been more than a year since I read The Thief and I am FINALLY getting around to it. I'm pleased to find the beginning a lot faster than that of The Thief.

    As always, I want to hear if you guys try any of these!

    Cassandra, how I wish I could e-mail cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Note to self. Don't read Cuileann's blog when on a break at work. When you're hungry.

    I'm definitely going to try those! Yum. Sigh. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  12. they look delicious. Did you frost them too?

    ReplyDelete