Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Seer wanted

A month or so ago I drew a life map for myself one Sunday evening when I didn't feel like doing homework.

I did it more like a map of geographic possibilities than of an actual path - there are the wild borderlands of institutionalization, mountain ranges of books, the deep jungle of immediate post-college life, the river of early college crisis with the ford of Choosing a Life Path, the scrublands of vicarious adolescent angst for when I have teenaged children, and so on.

Today I was rummaging through some loose papers, of which said map was one, and didn't notice that I had a hangnail until I glanced at my life map and noticed it had spots of BLOOD on it.

Blood on my life map.

Good thing I'm not superstitious? Haha.

10 comments:

  1. The real question is...what part of the life map was it on?
    I love the idea of a life map. I think I'll make one for myself soon.

    Also, have you read Victoria Hanley's Seer and the Sword books? You'd like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is cool! you should do a post explaining how to do a life map! i'd totally make one although i'm not sure i know how?

    <33 mermaid

    ReplyDelete
  3. a life map... i like that idea... and by the way, you're right about the deep jungle of post-college life. that's where the blood would land on my life map for sure.

    and thanks for visiting my blog! well, they don't serve plain bread for dessert here, but they do serve toast as dessert with weird things on it. and they make ice cream sandwiches like real sandwiches: just ice cream and two slices of white bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, good thing. That's probably a bad omen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gretchen - I just checked. One was in a blank space, the other was by "disillusionment, over and over." I have not heard of or read those books, but I will definitely check them out.

    mermaid - Hey, there's an idea. Perhaps I shall!

    Tobey - How interesting! The ice cream sandwich sounds so crazy to me...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. life maps sounds like fun, or daunting if you take it too seriously. i love the idea of a path though, mapping out your way in this world.

    yeah, good thing you're not superstitious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, blood! I say I'm not superstitious, but I secretly am, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah. That's funny/a little worrying (the blood part). I just saw your comment on my blog about white chocolate and wanted to exchange an internet high-five.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If your German professor is so Trelawney-ish, perhaps you should take the life map to them, see what they can make of it. ^_^

    Also, making a life map is a very intriguing idea. I'm kind of tempted to make on myself now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the sound of this idea (minus the blood). I usually make lists instead of maps, but if you pass on some instructions I would love to have a go!

    ReplyDelete