Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A meme where I get to talk about myself! How novel!

Nah, I think this one is quite fun. These questions are from the charming Gretchen of Gretch-a-sketch.

1. If you could have the fashion/wardrobe of one literary character, who would you pick?

I was going to say Éponine from Les Misérables, but I haven't even read that; she just has an awesome style in the musical. Coraline, then, from the Neil Gaiman novel. Her clothing is hardly described, but I love the way I picture it from what mention it does get.

2. Have you ever played a musical instrument and if you could be a virtuoso in one instrument, what would you play?


I played the recorder for a year when I was little, then the clarinet for five years (until high school). I took guitar lessons for a summer, but I wouldn't really say I played it...And for one blissful half-semester in seventh grade when we were short on percussionists in band, I played the mallets (xylophone, chimes, and bells/glockenspiel).

As to the second part of the question, my first instinct was to say piano, as that's for certain my favorite instrument to listen to, but I'd rather be able to sing really well! So, voice.

3. What country is next on your to-see list?

Ooh, thank you for asking! It'll happen as I see opportunities, of course, and I'm looking a ways ahead now, but perhaps Estonia (have my eye on a scholarship for a summer program at the University of Tallinn) or South Korea (a friend of mine is moving there soon). I'll stop now before I wander too far into the realm of dreams...

4. What's one of your best memories from elementary school?


The first one that popped into mind: In fifth grade, the last desk rotation of the year had me and Michael Lee as desk partners. We got along super well; I actually didn't feel awkward around him and we had lots of excellent conversations interspersed with the perfect amount of mutual mockery. Anyways, at the very end of the year, when we were making paper flowers for promotion ceremony decorations, he twisted a bunch of them together into a bouquet and reached over and set it in front me. He didn't say anything, and neither of us looked at each other, but my heart was beating like crazy. Aw...it still makes me smile to remember.

5. If you received a bouquet of flowers from a secret admirer, what kind of flowers would they be?

Gerber daisies.


All right, who wants questions?

[The Rules of the Interview
1. Leave me a comment saying you want to be interviewed.
2. I'll email you five questions, of my determination not yours!
3. You update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.]

14 comments:

  1. Oooh me too! I'd love to be interviewed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Les Misérables but I watched the movie. It had a great story to it. I'm sure the book is better but for a movie it was still good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That paper flower story made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answers! Michael Lee sounds dreamy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mm, good answers. i would want the wardrobe of anais nin. she's not exactly a literary character, but the way she describes her outfits in her diaries is amazing. does she count?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summermoon, Vixel, and Anna - questions are coming.

    pinkapplecore - I've seen a fair amount of the movie and I thought it was pretty good too. The story...yes! So stirring.

    Q - Hah! :) Me too...

    Gretchen - AND he was totally a nerd!

    Countrybelle - I think so. I have been meaning for ages to read something of hers...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, that story about Michael Lee was adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you can interview meee. i know you're dying to.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Estonia is on my travel wishlist too! I was in South Korea for one day once. My impression was: it was very crowded (ha!).

    I also used to play the clarinet. I had a really nice one made of wood, and then my brother stole it and pawned it for drug money. True story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like so much fun! Awesome answers! You can pick me too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. questions for me too? I send you fairy cakes (sparkly of course)

    ReplyDelete