Monday, February 9, 2009

Some Monday afternoon linkage

Almost all of you who took my survey (which is still open!) said that you'd like to see a feature like this, so I'm giving it a try. Some favorite stuff picked up from th'internets over the last week:

- This Icelandic photographer's latest pictures remind me of what Duong Thu Huong called "the hallucinatory whiteness" of snow in Russia. More at his flick photostream.

- Colleen at Chasing Ray: "On happy lives". Rather thought-provoking.

- The Pursuit of Harypness is a fairly new blog to me. I don't agree with its writers on all the feminist issues they cover, but where I do, it is tremendously gratifying to me to read what they have to say, because they are so fierce and articulate. "What You've Got in that Bag" is one such post.

- Heather on the Sublime. I like this post because "sublime" is something that I am familiar with feeling, but have never heard explained or even clearly defined before.

- Maureen Johnson is one of the funniest people on my RSS reader, and her Badger Diaries (click for parts one, two, three, four, and five) are hilarious even by her blog's standards.

- Lovely small stone.

- "Homeless Shelter Glossary, Volume 1". The blogger, Tim, oversees a homeless shelter and writes most insightfully about faith and social justice in practice.

- This flickr pool is so great. Even though it fills me with camera envy.

- Very interesting discussion at Anilee's blog on the plausibility of Ally Carter's protagonists knowing fourteen different languages, and a tangent into the issues of what makes something canon and telling versus showing.

4 comments:

  1. This was great--mostly because I was mentioned in it, and that always helps the self esteem.

    (Except for Heather is such a common name that most of the time I don't think it's referring to me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff. I especially liked "What You've Got in that Bag."

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a great post, hwalk, and totally true. I remembering feeling extremely enlightened reading it because it put a word to a common feeling, except now, I've completely forgotten what it is. *scurries over to Heather's blog* Oh, that's right. ;-)

    But it IS totally exciting to be linked to.

    ReplyDelete