Friday, March 6, 2009

This week's flavors of happiness

San Francisco winters. Cool, rainy, and green. After experiencing a Chicago winter, I really appreciate a Mediterranean climate...especially the fact that the weather here in January doesn't want to kill you.

Buddhist monks who wear sneakers with their robes. [Example.]

Sitting in front of my heater with a big bowl of salty steamed veggies and a favorite book.

Guy Delisle's books, and the fact that I can read his [French-language] blog. He has written several awesome graphic novels about his experiences in North Korea, China, and Burma, respectively. I highly recommend them to anyone interested in other countries. He is the perfect narrator for travel stories - smart, insightful, a bit cynical, with a sense for the absurd. By the way, does anyone know a tidy term for a graphic novel that is non-fiction, i.e. not a novel?

This week's mini-renaissance on Little Red Reading Hood, that loveliest of message boards.

Reading the news (source of choice) and feeling not-as-ignorant about current events.

My little sister's sense of drama.

A blog award from the talented PinkAppleCore.

Analyzing and making sense of my family. ♥ my therapist.

Making big plans that might never go anywhere. I am looking at some summer language intensives, including an ICELANDIC one that takes place in a very beautiful isolated part of Iceland which I was unable to see in November. I'm drifting away on wishful sighs...

15 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, those pictures are GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sneaker monk makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maya - flickr is a wonderful place.

    Cassandra - I quite often think of monks as cute, but always feel slightly sacreligious about that...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But is it sacrilegious if you're not a practitioner of the religion? Because... monks are pretty happy-making. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haaa! You used my picture, that's so awesome. I'm honoured.
    I love reading your blog, you have such a way with words x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope wonderful things come for you in the way of big plans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cassandra - Yeah, it's just a feeling I get, heh. And agree, they are...

    Hate This And I'll Love You - Yess! I have been loving what you've shown us of your tea project. And thank you. :)

    Thank you vair much, Miss Erin. :) And to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I am drifting away on wistful sigh." --- I love this!

    Btw, I went to the conference and thought of you. Sorry I didn't follow up to see if you were going, the last couple of days were just crazy busy.

    Keep on making big plans and the uiniverse will surely listen...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Odessa - Thanks. :) Yeah, I wish I could have gone but I'm a little too broke even for the sweet student price, haha. I'm going to have to bother you for details about it.

    Thanks, Miss Corrine. :)

    Beth - And I take far too much pleasure in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A "cheery" disposition - Yeah, there are a lot of really talented photographers on flickr. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM @ Steamed veggies! a delight that is actually good for you ;]

    ReplyDelete