Sunday, June 28, 2009

And then we drove

Southern coastal Iceland has some of the weirdest landscapes I have ever seen.



We pulled over and climbed out at one point because it was too weird not to take pictures. The sun all dusty and low and strange, these little hill-bumps as far as the eye could see, dead grass with dusty ice in windy patterns around it. And oh my goose, was it windy. As E. said, it felt like being inside of a vacuum cleaner. It nearly pushed me when I was standing on top of one of the hillocks to take in the weirdness, and it was pointless trying to talk even if you screamed, because the wind took your words as soon as they left your mouth. From when I stumbled out of the car to when I got back in, I laughed and laughed because it was just so unbelievably, ridiculously windy. I know "ridiculous/ly" has become a highly overused qualifier, so there is your standard: if it makes you laugh and it's not humorous, it is ridiculous.




We kept driving...




See that blue iciness creeping in from behind the browner mountains? Glacier! More on that later.

9 comments:

  1. A few of those pictures look like AZ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tree Rat Girl - And it almost felt like AZ! Except ~100 degrees colder! Har har.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hun,

    If you are ever in NZ, let me take you to Craters of the Moon and Wai-o-Tapu - both crazy landscapes as well. You would love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMazing!!
    I remember watching a movie set in Iceland and I was strangely captivated by the landscape! It's just the strangest thing I have ever seen - in a good way!
    (as always) love your photos
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw, that's awesome. I love the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love your iceland coverage. i never knew it was so pretty out there! and your pictures -- absolutely breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we should start a blogger pilgrimage to Iceland someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Great photos. I really want to travel more...damn real life, adult job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't say it enough - these are amazing! The landscape is beyond ridiculous - it truly looks like you're on another planet!!

    ReplyDelete