Sunday, September 20, 2009

On the inside of the lids of your eyes

"We could go in the morning."
"No."
"Perhaps it would be a good thing."
"No," he said. "My ghosts are not there."
(You have ghosts?)
(Of course I have ghosts.)
(What are your ghosts like?)
(They are on the inside of the lids of my eyes.)
(This is also where my ghosts reside.)
(You have ghosts?)
(Of course I have ghosts.)
(But you are a child.)
(I am not a child.)
(But you have not known love.)
(These are my ghosts, the spaces amid love.)

- from Everything is Illuminated, by Jonathan Safran Foer

5 comments:

  1. Wow. Kudos to Jonathan Safran Foer for coming up with that and writing it. (All I think of when I "see" the inside of my eyelids is black.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh. So...

    I can't even think of the right word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are on the inside of the lids of my eyes.

    There is something very delicate and beautiful about that. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete