Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tentative transplant [playlist]



I went with my original decision, to return to my college in the Midwest. So Monday I went from the City by the Bay to the suburb that birthed a book called Death by Suburb (which maybe I should read because the secondary title is How to Keep the Suburbs from Killing Your Soul).

I'm almost settled into my room. Classes start tomorrow. I've got two anthro classes (Human Origins and Biculturalism) and two gen eds (World History and Christian Thought). I'm also enrolled in Planetary Astronomy, but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep that or do my science requirements another time when it won't put me at 18 credits (the maximum possible; full load is 16).

This mixtape is a funny kind of mellow that I get at this time of year. To those of you who introduced me to various ones among them, thank you. [player exists below, feed reader gremlins.] [edit: never mind! it shows up inside the reader after all.]


10 comments:

  1. I am not a gremlin. And, I am currently playing it from inside feed reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. typewriter - it does show up! good to know. [you are naturally free to disown any and all titles, but as i am one such gremlin, i have attached no stigma to the name. :P]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking you made the right decision, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth - Thank you. I remember you offering that same encouragement that afternoon we were walking, when I was first considering returning to Wheaton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on going back to the grind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my writing the two boys play a card game about birds, and there's something about a photograph of a bird that always touches me. It seems corny to say so, but they seem so brave!

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s. And best of luck. Learning, and being around people who learn: painful and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, I hope that you are happy! OH and let me know if the address changed or not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. holly, i love this mixtape. summer breeze makes me heart ache. thanks for adventuring with me this summer. good luck with college, i really think you made the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous - Thanks. It wasn't the work at all that was keeping me away, so that's not hard to return to.

    Shelley - Thank you.

    pinkapplecore - Thanks for the listening and the advice, missy; I still have that text saved because I think it was so smart. Address is the same box number and everything!

    odessa - Oh, you do? I'm very glad. This mixtape thing is kind of an experiment; I'm intending to have one every other week. And thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete