Saturday, October 16, 2010

Empty lot

In suburbs like these, you need to find the places where people aren't expected to go, because everywhere else is meant and primped to be seen...brand new or pristine, somehow lacking in personality and completely uninteresting to look at, let alone reproduce on film. You must go poking around the alleys and empty lots, wandering along the railroad tracks.

I was riding my bike back from meeting with my canon at Caribou and I rode past a squirrel with its head blown off by a car, bones flattened. My guts had been twisting with emptiness and the world's strongest green tea already. I doubled back and left my bike on the sidewalk, took out my camera and arranged the squirrel corpse within my frame, more interested in its frozen dancing body than its gorily gone head. Its tail flapping gently in the wind. When I took my face away from my camera, there was a line of SUVs waiting for me. Suburban Mom in the first one giving me a look of disgust — Why are you holding us up? Why are you taking pictures of a squirrel corpse with its head blown off and its limbs arranged dancerly in your frame? Who do you think you are, standing here? Who do you think you are?











and This One for those who do not mind gory squirrel corpses

8 comments:

  1. What I was going to say made me sound like a judgemental nihilist. Which is probably what I am sometimes.

    I don't think the squirrel picture is gorgeous. I think it's lovely. Sad, but lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One time I saw a woman hit a squirrel, then she backed up on it, ran over it again... It angered me to no end. Still urks me to this day

    I took "death" photos of this group of dead birds once It is a weird feeling mixed with curiosity and remorse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you won't be mad if I skip on the death photo. I'm a notorious cry baby/fainter. Yeah...but the rest are beautiful. As usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. anilee - oh yes? well, we like you anyways. thanks.

    pinkapplecore - guh, wth? who does that? it would be strange to see multiple animals that had died together...

    Georgie - notatalll, notatall; hence I did not embed it as the rest. thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, I was too scared to look at the squirrel pic, but I love the others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Priya - then it's for YOU that I linked instead of embedding. :) thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I write about people who endured melancholy, and I'm wondering if maybe instead of wishing October weren't there, it might be more useful to go more deeply into that light that reminds us of the passage of time.

    Please be careful riding your bike at night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shelley - couldn't stay out of that light if I wanted to :) too stunning. shall be careful!

    ReplyDelete