Wednesday, November 17, 2010

And that is why gentrification is bad.

When I was home in October, my mom was showing me the scar from her recent abdominal surgery and it made me recollect how when I was little and we would all be chilling on the big bed after dinner, I would examine her stomach and she would tell me the different stories that go along with its various scars.
Untitled

Untitled

The stories are these:

Having been stabbed at a bus stop back before the Mission got gentrified (+1 scar),
she was rushed to the hospital and fixed up with some more incisions and tubes (+2 scars).
A few years later, she bore Big Sister, then me, then Little Sister (+stretching).
Then this year she had a little bit of cancer removed (+3 scar),
which they would not have found out about until too late if it were not for the fact that she had gotten stabbed some thirty years previously and had some scar tissue from that that was acting up.

15 comments:

  1. My mom had colon cancer--which they never would have found out about until it was too late except that she made a mistake and asked for a different test than her doctor said when she made the appointment at the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Q - another wow story, Q. crazy chances...

    ReplyDelete
  3. your mom is beautiful in more ways than one, but i'm sure you know that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a beautiful story!! it reminds me of how my sister and i still cuddle with my parents on their bed to watch movies and makes me wish that i was in the orr family kitchen with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why I'm convinced that everything happens for a reason!!
    And yes, your mother is super beautiful. And pretty svelte!

    ReplyDelete
  6. dahhh! everything happens for a reason is something I totes believe, but we don't always get to see it so clearly individually, and when we do it's just crazy and goes ZING in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As someone who writes about women, I recall that Gloria Steinem once said that this society ought to give medals for bravery not only to soldiers but also to women, for what their bodies bear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. pinkapplecore - aw :) and I wonder if she shall read that?

    the girl from the moon - you are definitely invited over Christmas break. I like that picture of you guys...

    sayanotherlexi and Erin - exactly, sometimes you get these uncannily clear demonstrations...

    Shelley - true recognition, definitely: to see what is and has been, rather than what one imagines or expects or wants to see. that would be a powerful change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This...is incredible. The hardships, blessings, "chances", resiliency. And I second and third sayanotherlexi and Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never got people who were always embarrassed about their scars. I think they're fascinating. They make me jealous, seeing as I have only a tiny one on my knee from The Stapler Incident when I was little. I love the stories that go with them. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, bad stuff happens for reasons unknown except the need to trust in what good will come from it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Your mom is such a trooper. Ask her if she remembers me, and tell her I say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  13. geekspawn - agree. scars are fascinating and cool, like small stories. [insert Dumbledore quote about the map scar on his knee]

    aipingplum - shall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. your mother is beautiful. scars with stories are pretty cool too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. sui - for surree. got a good one to share?

    ReplyDelete