Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Things that are making me happy


• Non-stuff gifts, like the donations los padres made in me and my sisters' names...the kind where you buy a goat for someone in a developing country, you know? As my contesserate has been saying, it's a more appropriate way to celebrate the birth of the man who taught us to eschew material possessions.

• When someone who smells really nice walks past me and leaves a wake of olfactory goodness washing over me

• Or when I pass by a house with the scent of incense drifting out of it. (Ever since freshman year when I roomed with a New England hippie, incense to me is the smell of sanctuary.)

• Sharing a bed with my puppy-who-isn't-mine

• House-/puppysitting income

• The gift of a webcam—so that even though I am the most geographically distant of the family when I'm at school, I can still SEE my baby niece (and my sister and bro-in-law) regularly!

• And gifts of film and money to ease my moolah-related worries for next semester

Cut-out Christmas cookies

• A chrysanthemum-shaped cookie cutter

• Shawls

• Receiving a package from New Hampshire and a Christmas card from Thailand on the same day

• Using the Reverb10 prompts as journaling prompts

• White-boy afros

• Odessa's birthday/bloggiversary post

• How I know I'll always get along easily with the people I grew up with at my childhood church, because our parents are friends and we've never not known each other. Even if we only see each other once a year, as some of us did last week.

6 comments:

  1. Hm, lovely non-things <3
    I especially like the smell ones. I often forget about those sorts of sensations but really, taking the time to remember them is rather lovely.

    Holly ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things that are making me happy - the phrase "olfactory goodness" :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly - I think I'm becoming more of a sensualist...in the simpler ways.

    Shelley - HA! You're great.

    Jenica - I have been racking my brain for a word which is the scent equivalent of "delicious" and coming up with nothing. Well, I guess a scent can be delicious, but something scent-specific is what I seek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenica - odoriferous! that's the one I wanted. I knew it sounded like mellifluous. but it only means scentful, not necessarily deliciously so.

    ReplyDelete