Saturday, January 8, 2011

2011: Intentions

Concrete things like "exercise more" or "procrastinate less"—I would rather deal with those on a more immediate basis than make year-long resolutions. When you look back on a year, you look for wide impressions, landscape views, and that's how I prefer to look over the coming year as well. 

My wide intention for the year is to risk more. Especially:

To do more things that I'm not certain I will succeed at or enjoy.
     Simple enough; another assault on the dreaded inner tyrant Perfectionist. Less hesitation, bolder ambitions, more attempts, more new things...more messes and failures, and more learning.

And to lower my guard a bit.
     I sometimes hold bad grudges with people I know, and I can keep friendships with new people at a superficial level almost indefinitely. But trust will never not be a risk, as long as people are imperfect—and when I do not trust enough, my friendships stagnate and I start to feel very lonely, and it's no good. Yet how to stop being afraid of the pain of being hurt by a friend? I suppose it's like any other emotional fear: If you wait to act until it's gone, you will never move, so you acknowledge it and then you make your way through it.

I am not going to let myself simply hold my ground this year.

10 comments:

  1. That's a very brave intention to have - I wish you the best for 2011 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I don't think you'll have a problem achieving it either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about concrete things - they're so much better fixed immediately. I really like your wide intention, too... it's something I strive for (with varied success) throughout my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think 'to risk more' is a fantastic resolution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear. These are EXACTLY my main focuses (foci?) for this year, too. Awesome. I'm really challenging myself to effectively murder (hah, hah) my comfort zone, take risks, & open up myself to new people & connections.

    I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. pinkapplecore - :) Thanks for the encouragement.

    Heidi - I was realizing throughout this past semester that I really need to work on those areas...especially the relational risks. I hope (and believe) having a conscious focus will be the antidote for some of the emotional stagnation (or rather, forward-and-back-again) that I'd been sensing.

    Lexi - I am sorely in need of it; I do not want to end up boring and fearful!

    sui - OH yes. I am an abuser of the comfort zone as well--it is not meant to be a place to live out the entirety of one's existence. We have good things coming to us...if you are like me, the initial push is most of the work. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great resolution. Like you, exercising more and procrastinating less are things I want to do but that I didn't feel the need to make into "resolutions". I only have one--zeal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenica - A strong word. More zeal in all parts of your life?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, and especially for God.

    ReplyDelete