Saturday, January 15, 2011

Eye candy and brain food

A live webcam on the Reykjavík City Pond. (I dunno if it was up two years ago, but if it was, I would have been on that feed for a minute or two, hah. Trudging along the eastern end of the pond, full of jetlag and wonder....No, I am not nostalgic AT ALL.)

Em has just gotten her Etsy shop up and running. Cutesy plastic jewelry, of course.

Random academic sentence generator. Funny 'cause it's true, um, yeah. Thanks, Q.

Snow crystals.

Mixtape: our hearts are shining.

"People with higher IQs (intelligence quotients) tend to be more active nocturnally, going to bed later, whereas those with lower IQs usually retire to bed sooner after nightfall." Read here. (Granted that IQ is of debatable significance. BUT STILL.)

A December court ruling you may not have caught: good news for email privacy.

On the growing field of cultural neuroscience:
"When an American thinks about whether he is honest, his brain activity looks very different than when he thinks about whether another person is honest, even a close relative. That’s not true for Chinese people..."
Recipe: Peppermint Patties.

Haiti one year after the earthquake (in photos).

Shokoofeh's done a film swap with a Danish photographer, and the results are lovely. (If you don't know, film swap means shooting over a roll of film exposed first by another photographer).

Winter is not white! These photos: exactly!

Neil Gaiman's photography.

Winter bodysurfing at my home beach.

8 comments:

  1. Strangely enough I've heard about the IQ and staying up longer thing. Recently too. I wonder if it's really true though.
    Ah well ☺
    Thanks for sharing some interesting things today! It's filled in a bit from where the car boot sale was cancelled.

    Holly ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, being an early-riser is a necessity. I think it's easier to focus at midnight than two in the afternoon sometimes, but lack of sleep is no good and I have early classes. It's not really an option to stay up past midnight during the week. On weekends, though, I tend to stay up late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must have a REALLY high IQ then! Awesome. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly - I think the IQ is rather out of vogue...I don't think really it's administered anymore except in experiments or for acceptance to Mensa. But you have to operationalize somehow. *shrug*

    anilee - Yes, I agree with you on the "eveningness." I always get a burst of productivity and focus around ten or eleven. But when what circumstances impose is opposed to preference, alas...

    Jenica - Hehe. :) Are your homeschooling hours flexible to that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome 'cos I'm procrastinating going to bed RIGHT NOW. Am I about to do/say/write something genius? I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lexi - OKAY! *is on edge of also late-night seat*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly - Well, I have to get up at seven every day. Earlyish but not tyrannical. Staying up till 1:30 is doable...unhealthy, but daoble.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenica - yeah, hah, that's certainly less sleep than I require from a night.

    ReplyDelete