Saturday, January 29, 2011

"I am absence. The pursuit of heaven."

One day, I will be what I want to be.
One day, I will be a bird, and will snatch my being out of my nothingness.

The more my wings burn, the more I near the truth and arise from the ashes.
I am the dreamer's speech, having forsaken body and soul
to continue my first journey to what set me on fire and vanished:
The Meaning. I am absence. The pursuit of heaven.

One day, I will be what I want to be.
One day, I will be a poet. Water will depend on my vision.
My language will be a metaphor for metaphor.

- Mahmoud Darwish
from "Mural"

10 comments:

  1. I really liked that. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this were a Facebook post, I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this were written by you I would not be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *activate FB-like button* ;P

    no, LOVE button.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these words ring. almost thought they were yours though, for a second.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth and Julia - oh my goodness, if I ever write something as wonderful as this, I could be struck by lightning upon setting down my pencil and I would die happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this... "My language will be a metaphor for metaphor." The whole thing is brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenica - I found the whole thing in a note on Facebook. It's a long poem--was published alone in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "the more my wings burn".... ahh.

    ReplyDelete