Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Happiness and gratitudes



my room smelling of jasmine rice. how my half-accented friend pronounces "curry." sharing a simple post-yoga dinner with her, sitting on floor.

returning to yoga class. I went for a couple months last spring and it was great, but I let it drop off my priorities. I shan't again. it's free for students here. "Take care of the body and the mind will follow."

writing letters in the evenings.

how much I have improved my study habits in the past two years.

turning the heater on first thing in the morning.

eating mindfully. without distractions, and insisting on distinguishing emotional hunger from physical hunger.

getting accustomed to reading literary German again.

Skyping. (about 23x better than phone calls).

earlier bedtimes and fewer long naps.

my room.

cucumber gel face mask, and the smell of cucumber anything. sharp, fresh, faintly sweet. rain-like.

that it is possible to understand a reading assignment without reading every word. (thank goodness.)

my new gratitude journal. Christmas gift from Liv. gorgeous. new favorite bedtime ritual. I'll take pictures for you.

many plans for Making Things once I return home to my stuff and have time again.

7 comments:

  1. oh yes. I love skyping as well.

    Love the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I always thought cucumbers smelled like the rain (or what the rain would smell like if it didn't always smell like dust to me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia - thank you. from the November b&w, which I need another roll of!

    Q - oh yes? is that peculiar to your home state?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, I have a cucumber lotion which I adore. It is rainlike, isn't it? Sooo refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's possible, because it's so dry that the rain might kick it up before it slicked it down. But I've never liked the smell of rain like other people did for that reason.

    It could also be peculiar to me. I do have a peculiar sense of smell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. just had my first yoga class this year after weeks of not going. yes..it does make a difference. don't even know why i waited this long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. odessa - Mm, I am glad to hear it. I remember it seemed like you used to be such a devotee. Are you joining a studio or hopping around for some more trial bargains? Haha.

    ReplyDelete