Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Happiness and gratitudes


• Parmesan. The not-powdered kind.

• Clarity.

• That these days when I take naps, I fall asleep to a blue sky-view.

• Cooking lentils on Friday evenings from my mom's recipe.

• Touching my back foot to my head in pigeon pose for the first time.

• Yoga classes with different kinds of bodies in them.

• Taizé chants that get stuck in my head. Lately this one.

• Ideas which are like food.

• Memories I have of this room in late summer, fall, and winter. I will miss it when I leave.

• Multicolored nails on my left hand, courtesy of testing privileges at Walgreens.

• Shared Google Docs, for making late-night group work from our respective bedrooms possible and more bearable.

• Birdsong in the morning, and being awake to hear it.

Princess Jellyfish.

• Realizing that I do not have to answer every question asked by other people, if I don't yet have the trust or energy to do so. (Direct questions almost compel me; I don't know why and I don't enjoy saying things I don't want to say. And I'm terrible at lying.)

The Secret Garden for bedtime reading, as spring is pushing back winter in my world and in Mary Lennox's.

• Asking for advice from just the right friends, and having those friends.

• De Clarke's writings. [example]

16 comments:

  1. Q - We open one of my classes once a week by singing one; that was last week's! Also, I think I would become a nun if the Taizé Community accepted sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you seen this upcoming cover of the secret garden?

    http://blog.jilliantamaki.com/2011/03/penguin-threads-deluxe-classics/

    sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noël - Oh my! That is some stunning handwork...I can't imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love not powdered parmesan, but we never get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh-- that last de clarke piece. I have been waiting for someone to express that in the right words for such a very long time and now here it is. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth - this is why you should go grocery shopping. it makes pasta so delicious!

    pinkapplecore - heyyyy you know it! I dig this.

    julia - That is one of the best feelings, and one reason why I love the social sciences. Which part were you waiting to have articulated?

    ReplyDelete
  7. holly, i just picked up secret garden too! somehow i missed reading this when i was little. also, finished another shannon hale book and liked it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. odessa - It's like a brain-wave book club! I like this. And: which Shannon Hale book?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. princess academy. i got it for free at a used bookstore in half moon bay. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. odessa - Oh, that is truly awesome, and I'm so glad you got that chance to read it just handed to you! It's up there among my favorites of hers for sure...I have strongest memories of reading it in the hostel in Berlin while everyone else was out drinking, and then on the train south as I was traveling to meet my host family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. skittle fingers!

    this is a stellar list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erin - Heh! True! And the lists aren't very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Birdsong = instant moodlifter. Congrats on the pidgeon pose :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jenica - I am so pleased by all the robins out these days! And those shock-of-red cardinals. Takk takk. :)

    ReplyDelete