Sunday, March 6, 2011

Night walk, reprised for a girl in love, 21 almost 22

I love
walking in the night; I love myself as I
am when I am walking in the night

I love 1) that I exist walking in and out of headlights, and 2) that in a stranger's consciousness I exist again, as
      two instants in their headlights

                                                   (I speak these words as I walk, to my scarf, writing in the air
and pronounce the word "rhapsodic" as it occurs to me, as if it tasted strangely)

I am a secret as I walk     my feet are a secret they themselves are keeping
the way I set my feet down and pick them up again is a secret-keeping which is this:
the placement of my feet is the keeping of a secret which is me

and the mist coming down in the streetlights
and the wet asphalt shining green in the traffic light...

(I have never been in love, but I have been writing love letters to my friends since years,)
(but I am in love two thousand times a day, these days)


(I speak this love letter as I walk—)

18 comments:

  1. Love this. Especially "I am in love two thousand times a day, these days."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth - I love you. And not just saying that 'cause you did.

    Cassandra & Heidi - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you ever cease to be amazing?

    yes, I am in love. all the time. with the smallest and craziest of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is amazing...one of my favorite things you've ever ever written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely.

    if you wanted a book of poetry/writing published I'd publish it. did I mention that already? you are a unique gift. :]

    and whenever I eat citrus fruit I think of you. :)

    "(but I am in love two thousand times a day, these days)" ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love two-thousand times a day, but then I got cynical. But I think I'm learning to love again. And I love you and your poetry and your blog, Holly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is nice. And when I say "nice" that's me being to cool to say "wow" or "holy shit".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julia - it is the most stunning way to travel through the hours, isn't it.

    Erin - Thank you, a lot.

    sui - (thank you!) you said that once before, and I'm wondering, what does that mean exactly?

    aipingplum - We go through waves...it happens to me too. Thank you. <3

    Michael - Then I will say it--wow, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. when I published Pleiades, I basically formed my own publishing company (since I own my own ISBN block)...

    sooo I could help you publish it under "s.s. publishing" which is very small and very selective. I wouldn't be able to give you an advance, I'm afraid, and the money will be modest... ;) but.

    email me for more info!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sui - thanks for the 'splain. shall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh i adore this holly. love love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful! I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. minteva & Jenica - Thank you so much... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. odessa - THANK YOU! :D and love back, right back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this makes me feel in love minus all the negative aspects.

    ReplyDelete