Friday, April 22, 2011

Ballet date


Guys, look how beautiful my city is...

These are from early March, when I was home for spring break. My mom and I had a nice lunch at a cafe in the Mission and then headed downtown for a modern program at the San Francisco Ballet.

On the train home, a man who had apparently also attended saw me looking at the program and asked me, "Boy, wasn't that last one hard to take?" I answered honestly that I had found it beautiful. (Artifact Suite. Oh, my. Watch a  little at the link above, or here...) And that was the end of that exchange. Perhaps—oh, I'm mulling a really profound solution right now, wait for it—perhaps people who don't like modern ballet should, um, not attend modern ballets?





11 comments:

  1. oh my, these photos look like film stills. gorgeous! and coincidentally, i'm on my way to buy tix for the Little Mermaid at the SF Ballet. have a happy easter, holly dear! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched that video. Besides how fundamentally beautiful ballet dancers are when they move, I loved the lights and how their feet moving was actually part of the music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize you are from San Fran :) I love that city. Got stranded there for a few days while I was roadtripping in January, it was lovely. And your photographs look like poetry, what type of camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. love ballet! I'll go with you ANY time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. odessa - Ah, that one looked so interesting! I'll be looking forward to hearing about it. Happy East to YOU TOO! <3

    Q - Mmmm isn't it? It's not quite as dark for human eyes.

    Kait - Yeah! I'm glad you've had a little bit of time to appreciate it. These are from my only SLR, which happens to be 35mm. Eet's a Zenit 412ls. I usually put the camera in the tags; forgot this time.

    Dawn - We can do that when I come to take your picture. *is happy imagining*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Q, the lighting was beautiful. I loved that. (And the piano was so simple and so lovely.)

    San Fran is definitely on my list of must-see places. It seems like it has so much character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi - Oh yes, you must. I think it's one of the best places on earth. The latter half of the ballet was set to all piano by that same composer, and the other was this Bach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. such beautiful pictures! these are making me miss SF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natalie - We do leave our hearts there, don't we...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful city & I love ballet! It's been years since i last went (or performed) Must get to a show (preferably in San Fran of course!) :)
    your photos are just so lovely
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheray - SF Ballet is wonderful...you should definitely put it on your to-do list for next January, or whenever you are visiting. <3

    ReplyDelete