Thursday, June 9, 2011

Happiness and gratitudes

• peanut butter s'mores. (social s'more-making is the one time I eat gelatin.)

• swimming alone at dusk on a day that had been hot, hot.

• swimming in open water, period.

• field trips with my anthro class.

• recognition from professors. my classmate wanted to know what the deal was between womanists and second-wave feminists, and my prof (the gender studies coordinator!) said to me raising my hand, "go ahead, you probably know more about this than I do." ahh.

• faculty panels.

• how it feels to not be scared when other people are.

• the promises of this summer.

• the women I'm sharing a cabin with this session.

• feathery moth antennae.

• canoeing late with some of my cabinmates into the mouth of a river, we saw bats: so unbirdlike, quick as thoughts back and forth across the water and around our canoes, hard to distinguish from the falling darkness. so many of them.

• scent memories striking like lightning. Germany in July: heat, green things, cigarette smoke.

• but on my clothing, the scent of bonfire.

6 comments:

  1. I love bats. And anthro. And summer. Your life sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. grateful noel: for reminding me of all the little smells and tastes and feels that make a perfect moment, a moment that without the stopping, the noticing, the writing down, would be vapor and gone. and how all those moments are piled up, infinitesimal, we wade through them, "pluck[ing] blackberries."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peanut butter s'mores, eh? Must try. :) Though that sounds like a horrendously messy food, I guess that's part of the charm of s'mores anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bridey - Well, I guess I agree...:) Thanks for making me remember.

    Noel - Yes, there is a dissociative way to do it and a mindful way to do it; I'm glad for how well you put it. (The mindful way, the way I hope to do it.)

    Jenica - Not bad at all, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thankful that I got to: live with you, splash my toes with you, stay up late with you, drink tea with you, procrastinate on papers with you, go to the gender panel with you, learn that i'm an ISFJ with you, eat meals with you, and be inspired by you!
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy - I am smiling...I suppose if you can't be in the bunk diagonal to me, here in the comments can be second-best. :)

    ReplyDelete