Friday, June 24, 2011

Happiness and gratitudes

• riding my bike.

• that when I fell off it yesterday, the scrapes weren't as deep as the ones from the previous notable accident.

• giving things away.

• amusing pretty dreams about friends I miss.

cooking breakfast for myself today. tofu scramble. it was actually more fun to cook than to eat...I need to work on the seasoning. note to self: peanut sauce next time. mmm...

• actually, cooking anything. the ritual of it, taking the time, paying the attention. the ballet teacher I had in eighth grade—her name was Molly Rose—i still remember this thing she said: "pulling up to the drive-through window at mcdonald's isn't sacred. taking the time to make the salad, to wash the lettuce and slice the carrots, that's sacred."

• the way supermarkets stay open super late for people like me [Anne Sexton: "haunting the black air, braver at night"].

• rereading the last Sally Lockhart book.

• going to good will to get some new clothes instead of accepting a pissy anxiety about the ones I already own that don't fit anymore.

• using the enormous voucher that southwest gave me in January for letting them switch me off an over-capacity flight.

• sake served hot.

• miso, always.

• driving to class. except for my environmental conscience, I don't mind Northern California commutes at all, not even the part where I have to leave the house by 7:15. having a commute is actually a most effective safeguard for my sanity.

• idiolect is one my favorite words; have you heard it? go know it.

7 comments:

  1. supermarkets staying open late. gpoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for tofu scramble a really easy yummy sauce is soy sauce with maple syrup and a lil lemon juice. even easier if you lack ingredients is soy sauce with enough sugar dissolved in to give it the salty sweet.

    also if yr not vegan you can stick an egg in the sauce and it helps give the tofu a skin. yumyumyum (made some today in liu of my family's fish dinner)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Georgia - Mm, thank you! I will make that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bike falls pain me, my dear! Glad this one wasn't so bad. Love your list, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the new word, I like those. :) Why was your ballet teacher teaching you about cooking? Haha. I like what she said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carl - Thanks :) Yeah, not bad at all, and I sugar-scrubbed most of the sand out yesterday...

    Jenica - She was just sort of freestyle expounding before class, as I recall. She was a cool person, enjoyable to listen to.

    ReplyDelete