Monday, June 27, 2011

Read in April & May 2011

1. The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Sweet, kind of old-fashionedly odd. Made me even happier for spring and reminded me again how very much I want to see Yorkshire.

2. The Culture of Interpretation: Christian Faith and the Postmodern World, by Roger Lundin
Wicked interesting; really picks up in the second half. Read for my culture theory class (anthropology).

3. Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories About Jenny Linsky, by Esther Averill
I love the Jenny Linsky picture books. They're from the fifties; the illustrations and characters are so darling and she manages to feature talking cats without anthropomorhpizing them. Bless her.

4. The Hotel Cat, by Esther Averill
And apparently she wrote at least one early chapter book about the Jenny world, too

5. A Wind in the Door, by Madeleine L'Engle
Where does she get these ideas? A children's sci-fi/fantasy about love that takes place in a mitochondria? It kind of works. "Kind of" as in, I couldn't stop being aware of how deeply funky the whole book was and her characters irritate me with their flatness and their all-sound-same dialogue, but "works" as in she has interesting ideas and knows how to tell a fast and absorbing story.

6. A Swiftly Tilting Planet, by Madeleine L'Engle
I liked this one a little better—unicorn and Charles Wallace, time traveling, Welshness. Yay.

7. Expect Resistance: A Field Manual, by CrimethInc
Anarcho-primitivist? Doctrine told in an alternating mixture of fiction and non-fiction. I recommend reading it ready to critique it and open to having your assumptions challenged by it. Definitely engrossing. Free pdf  [here].

7 comments:

  1. I've been reading Madeleine L'Engle too, but read Meet the Austins instead, which was wonderful. Not science fiction, not a lot of plot really, but good family relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about A Wrinkle in Time? Wasn't that the first book of the Madeleine L'Engle series? My son is almost the age I was when I started reading them. I cannot wait to read those with him. Right now we are reading Narnia together. And The Secret Garden! I just ran across the copy my godmother gave me when I was 9 and am going to read it again as well!

    Ahhhh, the joy of good books. They remind me of the times of childhood that were happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorites of that L'Engle series are A Wrinkle in Time and Many Waters. The other two were interesting, but I didn't care for them all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather - I will put it on my to-read list. Does that family touch the Murrays/O'Keefes at all?

    Dawn - The first in the Time Trilogy, quite so. I had it read aloud to me in elementary school and haven't read it since; it seems I need to, though. And yes: love the memories that books can carry. As evocative as scent. It must be a treasure for you to enter Narnia with your son for the first time.

    Jenica - Haven't read Many Waters yet; that's about the twins, though, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The twins, and Noah's ark. It's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you are always calling it precisely as you see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Beth. It's hard enough for me to articulate my OWN thoughts on books, so I haven't much choice...haha.

    ReplyDelete