Monday, August 1, 2011

Uncertainties

This reminds me of a Japanese poem I can't quite remember, which we read in elementary school with our poetry teacher. A woman missing her lover, a line about her own hair or the night. Two years ago in NaPoWriMo I wrote, "I am so happy today that I dialed your number certain you would answer." That same sense of contagion, that joy makes more joy more possible, and the same with sorrow, I suppose — there's something intuitive about it.

The moon

has been missing
for nearly a week; and
you haven't called.

There may be
no connection,
but darkness

is contagious
and blood brother
to silence.

– Linda Pastan
in Traveling Light

4 comments:

  1. oh poetry. i've missed you introducing me to new poetry.

    and I STILL haven't mailed you that Vogue. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this reminds me of a song that we used to sing over and over again while camping in the woods:
    i see the moon and the moon sees me, the moon sees somebody i long to see.." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this poem - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SL - And I have too much of it to share! Don't worry. Just before I move back in October.

    odessa - Ah, those are sweet lyrics. Youtubing for the melody.

    Priya - You're vair welcome.

    ReplyDelete