Sunday, September 11, 2011

Under a ceiling fan

If there once was an attic, and its roof 
was not beams made of trees but shadows 
cast by a story that we heard 
about  being in the woods...

Still traveling, and I'm beginning to feel  a little worn down. I'll be home again in a few days. You have to carry some roots with you. (I can't imagine what it would be like to travel for months or years at a time. Easier in some ways if you were hosteling instead of staying in homes?) The roots are things to stay the same no matter where you go, like: my journal, the people I can reach through my phone, a deep breath to look through some strange cupboards for a pot to boil tea water in.

I have seen a few of my dearest friends from school for the first time in over a year, or years, and it has been sweet beyond words.

I'm not sure when the last time I went this long without blogging was. (I left my laptop at home.) Anyway, I'm back. I missed you. I will endeavor not to let this hiatus turn into a case of blogger's block.

6 comments:

  1. I like that beginning bit so much. It's like the beginning for a fairy tale...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin - Orrr a bedtime story? I would if I knew where it was going. (I slept in an attic with three of the sisters.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES that's closer to what I was thinking of actually. And your parenthesized comment could be a first line of something, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that quote. it gave me such a warm feeling. and i also can't imagine traveling for a long time and staying at people's homes. i'd probably need to take a break and stay at a hotel every now and then.

    p.s. good to hear from you, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're having a sweet time. Glad you're back blogging too. Block? Not you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin - Herm...

    odessa - Not a quote, just something running through my head before bedtime one night. I think I would too -- glad it's not just me who feels that way. :)

    Carl - Thanks! It'll be easier when I scan all this film...

    ReplyDelete