Monday, October 3, 2011

Read in August 2011

As always, titles link to the pertinent Goodreads page — feel free to add me as a friend on there if you have a Goodreads account.

1. Raven Summer, by David Almond

2. Feeling Sorry for Celia, by Jaclyn Moriarty
I love everything I have read by Jaclyn Moriarty. (So far it's all been epistolary young adult contemporary-mostly-realistic fiction.) Always entertaining and fresh and affecting, always takes me less than 24 hours to read, and never predictable.

3. Liar, by Justine Larbalestier
What a mindfrak of a book. It seemed straightforward the first time through, certainly engrossing, but then I read the designated discussion thread on her blog and realized I was trusting the narrator FAR too much. (I could probably mull this book over for days and still feel confused...)

4. Ruby Slippers: How the Soul of a Woman Brings Her Home, by Jonalyn Fincher
I'm not the target audience for this book; I just read it as part of my ongoing commitment to keeping an eye on the evangelical discourse on gender. It didn't impress me, but overall it didn't offend me either, and that in itself is mildly impressive. For the average evangelical USian woman, its ideas would probably be more refreshing than I'm able to discern.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your books that you've read. More so that you actually read them. I struggle to find time to read. I really need to read more. Well done to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like unreliable narrators, so that I couldn't trust Micah really irked me. REALLY irked me. It's a masterpiece of YA fiction, but not my cup of tea. Funny how that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirstie - It's funny how easy it is in our tech-satured lives to push out the things that really bring joy, isn't it? Nice to make your acquaintance, by the way.

    Q - Yes, that makes sense with your personality. I agree, it is masterly...I still have Erin's copy because I do intend to reread it.

    ReplyDelete