Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Designer drugs


"I don't take drugs; I am drugs." – Salvador Dali

Two a.m. showers in the dark are my favorite now. In the dark means, by the light that comes in the bathroom window from the suburban night sky (a hazy pinkish-gray).

As my hair is drying I open an umbrella the color of that sky and pad barefoot out to the middle of the backyard lawn. From above, no one would be able to see me.

A thin November rain throughout the night, so I keep my windows open to the cold for the sake of its sound on the remaining leaves. (Are the yellow ones always the last to fall? Plastering the pavement, striking in the streetlights...)

I smell like incense.

8 comments:

  1. It's nice to think of you like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you a hardcore meditator type, or just a very very early riser?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth - :) It's nice to be like this(/that).

    Sarah - I would LIKE to be a hardcore meditator type. No, I'm a terrible night owl. Though if being an early riser meant getting up at two instead of six, that might not be hard at all to adjust to, for it's mainly the loss of the wee hours that makes me averse to going to bed early...hmm! Thanks for planting that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. holly, i love this. and i'm with beth, its so nice to think of you this way. keep the spirit, my friend.

    also, you might want to participate or submit this (or another work) for hila's "why i adore the night" series: http://hila-lumiere.blogspot.com/2011/11/why-i-adore-night-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. odessa - Shall. <3 Thanks mucho for the head's up on that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea even though I don't even like to have my curtain open, much less my window, if I'm showering at night. Creeps me out. But good for you in being less creepable than me, and savoring such a quite lovely thing :)
    Are the skies in your suburbs pinkish-grey? I can never decide what the color is at night here. It is no color tinged with every color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and I forgot to say, I very much love the second photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenica - But that's the beautiful thing about keeping the lights out at night: you can see out instead of people seeing in. (Granted, I wouldn't if my bathroom were on the ground floor.) And yes, that's how they always are in my mind, though of course there are clear nights...pinker in the winter when it snows. Thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete