Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sadness vs. depression

Sadness surprises me. It is unfamiliar. I have been anxious, angry, and mildly to severely depressed over the past four or five years, but rarely just sad.

I became insensible to sadness during the Year of Depression and the Year of Joy, or I forgot about it — and when I felt it again, I didn't recognize it. It bewildered me. I tried to chase it away at first, worried that it could bring a relapse into depression.

But depression and sadness are different. Not even related, really. Sadness has a more translucent feeling to it. It does not wall you into yourself. It passes. It needn't hurt less than depression, but it hurts differently, less unnaturally: it is not the pain of being constantly attacked by your own thoughts.

Not a numb, solid weight, but a slick of grief. Maybe tears. It can be borne without alcohol or starvation or antidepressants. The warmth and scent of tea, even swallowed alone in the dark, bring comfort.

5 comments:

  1. I am glad it surprises you. I am glad it is unfamiliar to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for wanting me to be happy, Q.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful post! I love this, I've found it difficult at times to verbally express sadness vs. depression but you just did it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn - I'm glad I was able to articulate something that is true not just for me. Thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete