Sunday, January 5, 2020

Favorite books read in 2019 (part two of two)

Consequence, by Loolwa Khazzoom
A small, fearless, and genuinely inspiring volume on street harassment, sexual violence, and self-defense. A mix of memoir and casual political essay, with some profound thoughts on female autonomy. Something I think will stick with me: I read much of this on the train to and from jury selection for a sexual abuse case.

Ocean Country, by Liz Cunningham
I was expecting nature writing, and was surprised by the amount of memoir, but it really worked for me in the end. It's not perfect, but it moved me and its heart won me over. This is about loving/despairing/working/hoping for the life of the oceans.

Anne Frank's Diary: The Graphic Adaptation, by Anne Frank, Ari Folman, and David Polonsky
Beautiful, beautiful adaption. All of the words are Anne Frank's own and the illustrations are an outstanding complement.

Cranford, by Elizabeth Gaskell
A classic that isn't work to read! I love the humor, most of it is centered on older single women, and it's neither long nor romance-driven.

The Diary of a Young Girl, by Anne Frank
This is a book I have wanted to read for a long time - and it took me over a month to read - however, it really helped that I read the graphic adaptation (see above) first. It made the people who lived in the Annex, and Anne's humor, struggles, wonderings, etc. feel more familiar and less like I was stepping into a stranger's mind in a faraway time and place. After spending two years of her life and hundreds of pages with Anne's thoughts, she felt so familiar that reaching the end was devastating.

The Little Book of Hygge, by Meik Wiking
Cozy! Fun! Quick! Lots of pleasing ideas for enjoying winter (and life) a bit more!

SCUM Manifesto, by Valerie Solanas
Darkly hilarious and way too smart.

Hello Lighthouse, by Sophie Blackall
Lovely, evocative illustrations of life in and around a pre-electric lighthouse, many with unique compositions shaped by the interior geography of the lighthouse itself. Definitely a new favorite picture book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment