Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Books read in March 2020

1. No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference, by Greta Thunberg
I feel a bit on fire whenever I am exposed to her thoughts on climate breakdown. She has a powerful clarity. This book is a small collection of speeches from a period of about two years which frequently repeat themselves when you're reading them all in sequence, but that didn't bug me. I really recommend her words, in whatever form (written or recordings).

2. Gravity Is The Thing, by Jaclyn Moriarty
Having just finished rereading a young adult novel of hers, I was delighted to discover and fall into Jaclyn Moriarty's first adult novel. It is so quirky-funny, and sometimes achingly poignant, and has that way some of her books have of wrapping up all of these odd disparate details into one big "ahh, I see" ending. I loved the narrator quite a bit.

3. If I Had a Hammer: Women's Work in Poetry, Fiction, and Photographs, edited by Sandra Martz
The old feminist anthologies are often more digestible than I think, this one included. (This one is from 1990.) Thoughtful but relatively light reading. Of particular interest to me was reading about various pink-collar jobs which no longer exist (e.g. entering bank deposits manually all day long) now that we all have 21st-century computers and the accompanying automations.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I just read Gravity is the Thing a month or two ago myself! I was so delighted with it and by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw that on Goodreads when I marked it as read, and thought, "Of course." I wish for her to write more adult fiction now.

      Delete