Sunday, May 18, 2008

Keeping the Moon

Keeping the Moon happened to be the only one on my library shelf when last I visited and, mm...good book! If it's a representative sample of her books, I think I'm a fan. Her writing is admirably trim, unpresumptuous, and effective, and she does a good job avoiding cliches. What's more, this story wasn't full of happiness and things that turned out perfectly, but it really made me happy. I fell in love with the characters - they were so original and real and complex and wonderful. I think a few of them could used some further developing, but they still felt quite three-dimensional. Wonderful story about what confidence and friendship mean.
So, I keep seeing Sarah Dessen's books on Good Reads and people's blogs, and I figured that now that I've plenty of free time, I should finally try one of hers.

Grade: A-

N.N. Content-wise, nothing really objectionable, but definitely for teens and up.
n.b #2 The Good Reads summary oversimplifies in a big lame way, but I can't be bothered to write my own today.

2 comments:

  1. That's the way I felt about her book Just Listen - it wasn't filled with happiness or perfection, but it made me happy. Perhaps *because* of that very fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sarah Dessen, but I haven't read this one yet! I'm glad you liked it though, and hope you'll try some others by her as well. :)

    ReplyDelete