Sunday, May 25, 2008

Let the record show

Friends, I am holding in my hands a volume called C.S. Lewis: A Companion & Guide, which opens to a page to which I have referred many times: C.S. Lewis's own outline of Narnian history and pertinent earthly years.

According to this timeline, Peter was born in 1927, Susan in 1928, Edmund in 1930, and Lucy in 1932. They traveled to Narnia for the first time through the wardrobe in 1940, at the respective ages of thirteen, twelve, ten, and eight (and spent fifteen Narnian years there, if you were wondering). Their return to Narnia at the summons of the horn occurred one year later.

And the actors and actresse? During filming for the two movies, the actors were, respectively and approximately, sixteen and nineteen (Peter), sixteen and eighteen (Susan), thirteen and fifteen (Edmund), and nine and twelve (Lucy).

Not great, especially the older Pevensies...but I can deal with it. What I can't deal with is this: Prince Caspian X was thirteen years old at the time of the war with Miraz. Ben Barnes, the actor who played him, was twenty-five at the time of Prince Caspian's filming. :beating forehead with wrists: Is it any wonder Will kept quarrelling with him? I'd be testy too if I had to deal with that casting decision on a daily basis.

On another Narnian note, don't you think this model would make an excellent White Witch when she got to be older? Just the right kind of otherworldly freaky-deaky, in my opinion.

6 comments:

  1. ewww yes, she's rather creepy.
    It's to bad that the actors are so much older than their characters are supposed to be, but I think they've done a good job other than that:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :nodding: Yes, in general I am pleased with the Pevensie actors, and even Ben Barnes wasn't horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally found your feed and subscribed to it! Yeah! So I can read your blog on a more frequent basis!

    That picture is about what I imagined the white witch, and I love the information that you put up there. I was always sort of wondering that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huzzah! :) Yes, when I first found that timeline I did dance with joy a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :Is it any wonder Will kept quarrelling with him? I'd be testy too if I had to deal with that casting decision on a daily basis.:

    lol.

    Anyway....I have to say that I don't mind too much. Seriously. Wouldn't it have been a little odd for a fourteen-year-old to be in a battle to the death? I mean, I couldn't imagine my younger brother in that position, and he's fifteen. So it's pretty reasonable that they aged the characters a bit. And okay, fine, so they grew up in Narnia. Maybe that makes a difference...but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete