Wednesday, May 28, 2008

"The Trees"

Last summer I checked out The Norton Anthology of Poetry from the library for the summer, and I'm doing the same again, hoping to read a little poetry everyday. If you haven't seen a Norton anthology before, it's a two-thousand-page beast, so it's a wonderful way to discover poets. Every time I open it I find something miraculous.

The Trees
The trees are coming into leaf
Like something almost being said;
The recent buds relax and spread,
Their greenness is a kind of grief.

Is it that they are born again
And we grow old? No, they die too.
Their yearly trick of looking new
Is written down in rings of grain.

Yet still the unresting castles thresh
In fullgrown thickness every May.
Last year is dead, they seem to say,
Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

– Philip Larkin

4 comments:

  1. I own one of those, and I had to bring it to school so I cut it in half. They are really big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Smart. That's quite funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always laughed when I saw "The shorter 9th edition" on the cover of my Norton book, because it was so massive. But I agree, there's definetly some good stuff in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Cuileann,
    I am very glad to find your blog. It looks like there is some interesting stuff here. I'm bookmarking you and will be visiting again. Thank you do much for your visit to my blog today and for you great comments.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete