Friday, June 27, 2008

A window pushed high as it would go

Sometimes I understand the third stanza of this poem, and sometimes I don't. I love the picture that the second stanza creates, and I think the last stanza is just brilliant. Often when I write, "What he said..." I finish the sentence in my head with the last lines of this poem.

What He Said to His Enemies
He could hear them off in the forest,
massive branches breaking:
You are no good, will never be any good.

Sometimes they followed him,
rubbing out his tracks.
They wanted him to get lost
in the world of trees,
stand silently forever, holding up his hands.

At night he watched
the street lamp's light
soaking into his lawn.
He could bathe in its cool voice,
roll over to a whole different view.
What made them think
the world's room was so small?

On the table he laid out his clothes,
arranging the cuffs.
What he said to his enemies
was a window pushed high as it would go.
Come in, look for me where you think
I am. Then when you see no one is there,
we can talk.

- Naomi Shihab Nye

The poetry round-up is at Biblio File.

7 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm not quite sure I understand it...but maybe I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It's beautiful and puzzling and worth memorizing to ponder. She takes my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that the thing? The meaning can change for you, for everyone. Like it was written just for you.

    Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog.

    If you ever get a chance to go to Iceland you should go. It's wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok... that one's going to leave me thinking for awhile. Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a hard one! But I always like the ambiguous poems :o) (those are the best).
    The atmosphere in this poem was really cool and a bit creepy, I like that.
    Have you read "The Tyger" yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, this is a beautiful poem indeed. i love the 3rd stanza, you can interpret it in so many ways. thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete