Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Like little batter melons in cupcake papers

(Oh, the joy of posting about cupcakes above a review of a book about eating disorders...;)


Watermelon cupcakes! Just red batter with chocolate chips in it, frosted green. The idea belongs to Jamieanne at The Cupcake Review, and I couldn't resist trying it for my next batch of Saturday cupcakes (new summer tradition - lovely way to occupy my Saturday afternoon, and of course my family doesn't exactly mind having a kitchen full of fresh baked goods.)

I didn't actually make them from the recipe she used, which called for watermelon flavored frosting (!). Would have, but unfortunately I didn't have the watermelon juice required to make it. Maybe next time we have watermelon around.

I made mine from the Joy of Baking vanilla cupcake recipe, plus, of course, the chocolate chips. I used vanilla soymilk instead of plain dairy milk for a little extra vanilla flavor. I'd use the recipe again; the cupcakes turned out with a very nice texture.

I decided to frost them with royal icing, an easy egg-white-and-sugar (read: no fat!) icing that hardens very quickly and is usually used for decorating. It made a delightful crunchy layer on top of the soft, warm cupcake. I couldn't persuade it to be anything darker than pastel green, though.

Feed reader users, don't miss the new poll in the sidebar - it's your chance to sound off on baking posts.

10 comments:

  1. Yes, please! More cupcakes!
    Those look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm. That cupcake looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the silly poll feature is not currently available, but i LOVE cupcakes, especially as a saturday afternoon tradition/adventure... so YES! more cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took the poll. But I'm confused, today is WEDNESDAY.

    --SL, trying to being cute and just pretending to be confused.

    and being rewarded with a SHORT vw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. like i said before, i'm not much of a cook. but i love looking at the pics and reading about your cupcake adventures, so keep 'em coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great! I can't believe your family didn't get the watermelon effect - it's the very first thing I think of when I see them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you take pics of the cupcakes next to YUMMY BOOKS. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The look deliciouse more cupcakes!!
    how do you like Terrier I love that one and simply can't wait for the second bloodhound!!


    Aly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jamieanne. :)

    And I'm glad you noticed, Erin. :)

    ReplyDelete