Monday, July 14, 2008

Warm pavement and Pacific glimpses

Summer Senses Meme

Tagged by Gretchen

List the things you love about summer for each of the five senses and tag five people at the end. Simple!

Taste:
Honest Tea iced tea, salt licked off my skin after an afternoon at the beach, fresh cantaloupe and strawberries and pears and pineapple, coffee drunk at beautiful San Francisco cafes, hot fresh falafel

Touch:
Warm pavement under bare feet, a wave passing under me and lifting me off the sandy bottom and up and over its crest, downhill wind on bare arms during a bike ride, a chain-link fence between my fingers, sun and breeze on my face, the gentle foamy cool end of waves pushing its way around my calves

Sight:
Sea foam floating on clear water over dark sand and the pattern that the shadows of the foam and the sunlight through the water make on the sand (does anyone else know what I'm talking about?), the ocean spreading blue and forever across a clear horizon - or glimpsed between houses, books for me on the hold shelf at the library and tall stacks of them at home on my dresser, the ground falling away under me and the sky swinging overhead when I swing, freckles, flip flop tans, strawberry pickers on street corners selling fruit straight from the fields

Smell:
Sea air, fresh cucumber and pineapple, my dance studio (I think it's the shoes)

Sound:
My aunts telling stories, my cousins laughing in the surf and shrieking as they wipe out, waves breaking, Irish dance class music

Anilee, Odessa, ennagirl, Anna, and Ashleigh - you're it.

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, falafel and book stacks are wonderful. I love seeing how poetic people get when talking about summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...I know I wasn't tagged, but I want to do this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how different people have different lengths of lists for each sense... It probably tells you something about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prolly true. I was looking at it before I published it, wishing it'd even itself out a little. :P Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good meme! You should do this for every season, too. Because really, every season has it's plusses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love all of them, especially the tactile ones! love the feel of sun and ocean breeze on my skin. i think i'll answer this meme at the end of summer, that way i can put together everything i love about this season before it gets cold again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did it! Go and see!

    ReplyDelete