Thursday, July 17, 2008

"Bend low again, night of summer stars."

Things that are making me happy:

Tracks of French conversation from my textbook CD popping up when I shuffle my music. First of all, it's quite amusing to hear invisible people jabbering about their respective vacation plans between songs, and it's not a bad refresher, either. I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I remember.

Rereading Enna Burning. This is my third time through it , and it's been two years since the last time. It's just the right kind of reread - the text feels familiar enough that I'm able to think more deeply about it than I had before, but it's been long enough since my last read that it's not boring.

Blowing scented soap bubbles while I wait for the streetcar.

Baking after dinner to a playlist of Gregorian chants while my sister does puzzles on the kitchen table and licks the bowls and spoons.

New-to-me family history. My mother dug out an old family tree and I learned a little more about my Welsh coal miner great-great-grandfather than I knew before, and that we have some history in Salt Lake City! (Now if my parents will only fly me out there during the next LRRH convention to do some on-location family history research...;)

Gala Darling's list of 50 Things To Do Before Summer Ends, and the southern-hemisphere companion, 50 Things To Do Before Winter Ends

My sky-ceiling of glow-in-the-dark stars, complete with a moon and a dozen sheep (Why sheep? To count, of course!)

6 comments:

  1. haha, Yeah that made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading your list made me happy, too. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gregorian chant and unknown family history...indeed, definitely things worth being happy over. *nods*

    Ah, you're reading The Perilous Gard? What do you think of it so far? I remember liking it very much, but that was a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about fifty pages in, and it's good so far. :) Not that much has happened, so I'm anticipating it getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you get an image at the top of your blog? I don't know how because I'm still sort of new. Do you have to get a certain layout or do something else?

    ReplyDelete