Sunday, August 24, 2008

3/3/08

I did this as a freewrite (read: i'm calling it that to provide me with defense against any and all criticism. jk) in March, trying to get a handle on the strange and addling taste of spring and the way I experienced it in high school.


Spring. Things fall together and apart. I shed friends and walk in a new skin, in deepening shades of loneness. My eyes return to the horizon over the sea and my mind floats defiantly into realms of daydreams and books and faraway places and paralysis. Obligations and realities are not quite heavy enough.

The season of failings and yearnings. I write, Another beautiful rotting spring. Living in spring is strange vividness - tears, cool sunlight, sharp moments of joy. And always a sense of journey, of something waiting, so big I can't even see all of it, so big it swallows me whole.

So I turn my eyes to the distance and walk with certainty. I copy poetry into my trigonometry textbook. I tear up and down hills on my bike under the deep young sky. I make my escape in a multitude of small ways.

13 comments:

  1. I'm going to have the phrase "deep young sky" rolling around in my mind for some time now. All of it was beautiful, but especially that phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "i make my escape in a multitude of small ways" -- thats what i'm doing now actually in these last days of summer.

    beautiful writing! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's brilliant. You write beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. deep young sky...I must agree, I love that phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that was amazing, cuileann. So poetic and beautiful and thought-provoking. I wish I could write like that! :D When I read it, it seemed highly symbolic. You should definitely use it for a story or novel. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. :D Spring has to be my favorite season ever, and I think you've captured it poetically and beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Gretchen... that's going to be stuck in my head now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful, so lyrical. It's like there's this girl, slightly tortured but doing her best to think her thoughts and live her own way. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for your comments, all of you!

    Q - Poetry is usually the most natural way for me to write something that's been nudging me. It just occasionally seems more fitting to write in normal sentences and paragraphs, heh.

    perfectgoodluck - That's an interesting idea, though I've never written anything longer than a couple pages of freewrite...

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I shed friends and walk in a new skin, in deepening shades of loneness." Oh, I love this sentence.

    And I love your new header.

    And I promise to blog again soon.

    xo,

    SL

    ReplyDelete