Wednesday, August 27, 2008

And Massachusetts is one place I have seen

Having successfully crossed the country to spend a week and a half in New England, I am now happily back at school outside of Chicago, sort of settled in and mostly in one piece. Notable:

- A gorgeous old library built by robber barons

- Being surrounded by New Bedford/Boston accents

- The view from Mount Monadnock, and greedily combing the wild blueberry bushes on the way down

- Breakfast in a library-turned-café

- Unbelievably yummy fresh juice on the Dartmouth (College) Green

- Wandering around old New England graveyards

- Spraining my ankle practicing a slip jig step in a parking lot the morning before my flight home (and consequently getting the wheelchair treatment in the airports on the way back to school)

- Getting skipped ahead of two dozen surly New Bedforders in the ER and fearing for my life when I walked through them in the waiting room again on my way out (srsly, the guy across from me looked like he could kill someone with his bare hands)

- Frolicking in a creek with my roommate's half-wild little sisters

- Feeling like the sickly city girl in Heidi who goes to the mountains to be transformed into a sturdy, rosy-cheeked non-invalid

- Getting my bag stolen, and my camera, cell phone, wallet, and checkbook along with it

- The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston

- Seeing humpback and finback whales on a whale watch

- Said ninety-minute whale watch actualy being a four-hour trip

- Plymouth turning out to have amazing fudge, even if Plymouth Rock is "the most anticlimactic thing ever" (to quote my friend the local). As well as the oldest church in the U.S. and an absurd number of salons.

- Cooling my feet in the Atlantic Ocean

- Watching Secret Window in an old house in the middle of the woods

I shall try to find some good pictures of the museum, the mountain and the library for my next couple posts.

8 comments:

  1. Your trip sounds amazing. :D Aside from spraining your ankle and getting your belongings stolen, of course. That's never fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe all that stuff happened. I hope that you're not having too much trouble after having lost your bag, and I hope you're feeling better.

    All that aside, I love Mass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no! i feel for you. my purse was stolen at the hollywood bowl last summer and i felt totally lost without my wallet, keys, cellphone, etc. i think i mourned the loss of my camera the most. but i'm glad that you made it back in one piece though.

    btw i recognized that last pic from paris je t'aime. one of the favorite segments from the movie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that guy on Oslostil. Thanks for pointing him out to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! You certainly got major ups and major downs - no mediocre vacation for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. enc - Thanks, and you're welcome. :)

    odessa - I do miss my camera the most. THAT I really can't afford to replace (sigh), but I remind myself that being surrounded by college students, there are plenty to borrow.

    Edge - Hah! Yes, you could say that. I prefer to do most things that way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, that is sad. the camera esp.

    xo,

    SL

    ReplyDelete
  8. The North East is my favorite part of the country (and Boston a great lillte town). Glad to hear that you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete