Thursday, August 14, 2008

Bodysnatching

Grobanitis is everywhere. Srsly.

My family had a long drive up to the mountains for a short vacation last week. My sisters and I were all listening to music on our mp3 players at one point, when my twenty-one-year-old sister suddenly turned to me and whispered ecstatically, "It's JOSH GROBAN."

I'm pretty sure I blanched and produced a very lame, nervous imitation of a smile.

It was right there, in my own family, all along. I don't know what to think.

Reminds me of an Auden quote:

"Evil is unspectacular and always human, and shares our bed and eats at our own table."
- W. H. Auden

P.S. I've no idea how much internet access I will have between now (when I leave to visit my friends in the northeast) and the 26th (when I arrive at college). I expect I'll be able to keep up posting, if with less frequency, but my reading and commenting time will definitely be more limited than usual.

14 comments:

  1. Are you implying that fans of Josh Groban are evil? ;-)

    anilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. My answer would be "no comment," but considering this is the comments section...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha! I'm SO glad to see there are other non-Grobanites. I enjoy his music, yes, but a Grobanite I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must be living in a different world, I didnt even know who Josh Gorban was. I had to do a google him... haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe Grobanitis isn't exactly *evil*...just a horrible disease that many people suffer from, but they choose to really enjoy it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not profess to be un-evil, but I find Grobanitis to be an entirely lovely (and not evil) disease. ;)

    Oh, to be afflicted by such a voice as his...

    *swoons*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gasp, they're more non-Grobanites, out there? *Begins to feel that she isn't as alone in the world.*

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I respect his talent, I've never been able to get into Groban. Not my thing. Give me Weezer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a Grobanite, but I do think he's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cuileann, I found your blog looking for people who like reading Christian fiction and fantasy. I do too. My blog is http://threeswans.blogspot.com if you feel like visiting. I was wondering if I could suggest one to try? "Outcasts Of Skagaray" is an action adventure fantasy, Christian inspired, which might appeal to readers who like LOTR and the novels of C.S.Lewis. For a free preview, there are sample chapters on www.threeswans.com.au Other reviews can be found on line. I would be thrilled if you read it and enjoyed it, but whatever happens, I wish you well. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bahaha. The Grobanitis virus. I love it. ^_^

    Have a great time on that visit and at school! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha. I love the quote. It fits the situation very well.

    ReplyDelete