Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sophomoric advice on freshman year



It would be pretentious to call this list anything like comprehensive, so I shan't. All I've done is think of the things I didn't read or hear before my first year of college that I wish I had. Without further ado — a little foolish wisdom from me to my bloggy freshman friends. Take it for whatever it's worth.

• Mandatory orientation events? Not all of them actually are that. Consult an upperclassman if possible, because some of them are good, but if you think you've got something better to do — one last dinner with your parents, a trip to Target at a less busy time, or just the bonding experience of cutting a boring event with some new acquaintances — you probably do.

• Don't be inhibited when it comes to approaching the other new students. They are all just as lost as you are, and no one wants to go through college without friends, even if meeting them means looking a little awkward. The first few weeks of freshman year may be the only time in your life when you are surrounded by people your age who are all just as desperate as you to make friends and secure social happiness for the next four years. Take advantage of that opportunity.

• The same desserts that look so luscious the first few weeks will keep getting cycled through again...and again. You've got four whole years to eat your fill of them, so why rush?

• Don't let your high school identity cramp your style. If some aspect of the way you present yourself displeases you, then change it! Now that no one around you remembers that you were ever otherwise, it's a great time to try being what you've always kind of wished you were.

• Get to know your professors. Often said, but not so easy to do. Why? Adults that erudite can very easily be intimidating, but you have so much to gain from talking to them that you really owe it to yourself. If you don't get the opportunity in class, make a point of introducing yourself to them at the beginning of the semester. Office hours or lunch in the dining hall is good for when you have questions or ideas that didn't fit in the class discussion. When they invite groups of students over to their houses, accept and go!

• Do your laundry before you realize that you have to. Granted, the strange looks you get for going to the laundry room in a dressy skirt and swimsuit may make the trip more amusing, but I think most of you would agree that not exhausting all your other clothing options is even better.

• Know what activities keep you sane, and insist on having time for them. I, for example, go a bit crazy without pleasure reading. If I cut it out of my schedule to make more time for schoolwork or time with friends (both good things), I always regret it eventually because then I can't destress as well, and I start getting resentful of the things I gave it up for. And loony cuil is just not as productive as happy cuil. So, I journey regularly to the public library and make sure I'm always reading a good non-school book, even if some days it's only for twenty minutes before I fall asleep.

• Get regular exercise. That's kind of a duh, but a lot of college students look at it as a luxury their busy schedules can't afford. If you can make it a habit (which, remember, is said to take twenty-one days), you'll be so much happier - enjoying the endorphins, destressing, warding off the freshman fifteen, and all that jazz. Take it from someone who took too long to make physical activity a part of her routine.

I'm planning on asking my friends what they would add, and I may think of something else, so I'll prolly have one more post on the topic. But have you any questions, my dear freshies/pre-freshies, or anything else you'd like to hear more about? Any knowledge that I've gained from a year at college is at your disposal, so please feel free to ask by comment or e-mail me at wieeinlied[at]hotmail[dot]com. If I think of anything else I'll stick it in a new post.

Fellow post-freshman year readers, anything to add?

12 comments:

  1. That is SO helpful. Thank you so much. I can't wait until college!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my addition:

    Don't feel like you have to go party on Friday and Saturday. It might not be your thing or you just might not be in the mood that night. I've seen plent of people who regretted going to a party the night before and none who regretted just hanging out watching movies and getting a start on homework.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Here's my addition:

    - Make time to talk to your roommates and spend time with them at the beginning of the year. One of my greatest regrets is that I only got to be friends with 1 of the 4 other girls in my apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with adding in some pleasure reading. I have read more in college than I did in high school.

    Here is my addition of advice on how to get good grades:

    GO TO CLASS EVERYDAY! It will result in good grade. You don't have to go to class, but do it anyway.

    Do all your assignments, take notes, read all the materials, even if it doesn't seem you have to.

    And don't procrastinate writing papers. Give yourself a turn of editing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was great advice! Looking forward to trying it out! lol only a year or two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you!! I've heard a lot of this from my parents (I have great parents :-), but they did go to college a long time ago...I leave today and practically bounced on my exercise ball (we're using it as a computer chair, don't ask) when I saw the title of your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post! college seems like a long time ago, but for whatever its worth, here's my 2 cents:

    *take you time, savor each moment* don't feel like you have to attend every party, go to every event, meet everyone, etc. go at your own pace. transitions aren't easy so don't be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though I'm not really going to a big University, I sure wish I knew some of this stuff last year...

    My addition:
    If the "impossible" happens, and it turns out you and your new school are a bad match... don't stress. Talk about it with friends and classmates, parents, older siblings, anyone you can get your hands on. You might eventually arrive at the conclusion that you'd like to transfer, or do something else. Whatever your decision, though: Do not give up on your classes! You could live to regret it, even if you do decide to leave. Remember, your transcript follows you... And you don't want all that money going to waste, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for your additions, amigas, and I'm glad to have been at all helpful, lookbooks, Ballerina, and Edge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have three tips:

    1) Be mindful of how much you party. Have fun, but try not to let it cut into your coursework and study time. Save it for weekends if at all possible. Don't ask me how I know this.

    2) Try to give yourself a limit of how many times you're going to blow off each class. I gave myself a limit of one blowoff per class, per semester. This way, I had a trapdoor if something came up, but I didn't miss very much lecture time.

    3) DO NOT wait until the last minute to research and write that big paper. The professor will be able to tell you did exactly that. Don't insult his/her intelligence with slapdash work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That second one would be so good for me, enc. I'm doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Redirected thanks to Q, but this is very helpful. Thanks Holly! :)

    ReplyDelete